Saturday 15 November 2014

Never Give up on your dream of being a freelancer!

We came across this old post and thought we would share. 

Sorry, I can’t get you a job freelancing

People have been emailing me asking if I could get them a freelancing job for Letterman, SNL or any other place. Unfortunately, the answer is no. Sorry, I wish I could but I am not allowed to give out any contact information or I would get in trouble.

People were also curious how I got started, here is the story -

(Opens fairy tale book)
Once upon a time I was walking by the Ed Sullivan Theatre and someone on the street asked if I wanted to see a live taping of the Late Show (they were low on audience that day.) It was funny because I was randomly in Manhattan trying to get a job, so I used the opportunity to pass on my resume to anyone who would take it. After a couple of interviews, I became a page for the Late Show with David Letterman. The pages are the people who keep the audience happy before and after the show.

After a year of paying my dues as a page and being told multiple times that they didn’t have room for another freelance writer, on June 7, 2004, I was allowed to fax over a handful of jokes. After I got my first joke on air, a handful of jokes turned into a full page of jokes. After my jokes made air on the Late Show, it was easier to pitch myself as a freelance joke writer to other places. Things basically blossomed from there.

The End.
(Closes book)
(Reading rainbow theme plays)
(Butterflies fly all over the place)
Original post:
http://www.rejectedjokes.com/post/541218127/sorry-i-cant-get-you-a-job-freelancing
https://twitter.com/rejectedjokes [ben shwartz@rejectedjokes]

No comments:

Post a Comment